, ,

An Open Letter to the People Who Left Me This Election

Young lady typing on the computer
ivoted
I voted early

This election has been a rough one for all of us. As a black woman in these United States of America, I can tell you it feels anything but united. I feel steamrolled. But I finally voted yesterday. It felt the way I imagine Bunjee jumping must feel, headlong over the edge hoping that the cord does its job.

The Progressive Army gave me the opportunity to make my opinions known to a larger audience than just my social media posts. I shared my hopes for a Bernie Sanders presidency. Expounded on my fear for my family, friends, and community as they navigate this world that condemns them for the bodies they are in. My fury, angst, and pain were exposed as story after story of racism, sexism, and transphobia in this country found its way to my timeline. To paraphrase Hemingway, I sat at my keyboard and bled.

Apparently, this was too raw for some of my friends. Some of you were “turned off by the negativity” and unfriended me. It is quite unfortunate that you don’t have the same distaste for the negativity of oppression, but I digress. I’m sure I’m not the only one this has happened to. This election was intensely personal for so many of us. This election is a veritable Civil War, a war waged on the backs of those of us who don’t have the privilege of just walking away.

I say to those who were piqued because I didn’t suffer silently; too bad. Did you clutch your pearls because of the language I used? Too bad. Were you a hit dog who hollered when I inadvertently or overtly pointed out your racist, sexist, and/or xenophobic behavior and language? Too bad. Have you spent a lifetime supporting and/or benefitting from a system that oppresses me or others because you just “couldn’t take all the negativity” involved in dealing with it and now you are butthurt because I addressed it with the fire and contempt that it deserved? Too bad. Were you put off that I didn’t mince words to make YOU more comfortable? TOO. FUCKING. BAD! Friendship is not about me minimizing my pain for your convenience. The revolution isn’t about making you comfortable.

Don’t wait until the election is over and attempt to mend this fence. It’s too late. I needed you before the die was cast. This country needed you to take a stand when my life and other lives were on the line. Understand clearly and plainly, what you did was walk away from me when I needed you most. But I’m thinking of it as a team-building year. You strengthened me by removing weak links I might not have otherwise realized that I had.

Most certainly do not expect, hint at, or hold your breath waiting for an apology from me. I’m not sorry. Everyone deserves a safe and equal existence in this country. I will not apologize for standing up for those rights. If our friendship required my polite acquiescence to my oppression, then your leaving was best. You proved that your temporary discomfort was paramount to my suffering and pain. I don’t need THAT kind of negativity in my life.

hurt-feelings-meme
© DC Comics

 

Written by Pamela Getz

Pamela Getz

Writer and Activist. Follow Pamela on Twitter @goddesspamela.

Pamela Getz is Editor of International Affairs for Progressive Army and a member of its Editorial Board.

avatar
5000
1 Comment threads
3 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
0 Comment authors
Laurel KornfeldWilliam Brighenti Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
William Brighenti
Guest

As if you care about all of us. It’s all about you or your race or your sex. You play the game of divisional politics instead of uniting all of us, the 99%, fighting the oppressive system of the 1%. Same old, same old divide and conquer. Hello, Hillary for 8 years. The 1% prevails.

Laurel Kornfeld
Guest

The one percent will never prevail as long as the 99 percent stay strong in fighting them and their unjust status quo. Never give up, and never give in!

William Brighenti
Guest

Laurel Kornfeld As long as our comrades swallow the divisional bait–the lure of dividing us on gender, race, ethnicity, etc.–instead of us focusing on the real gulf–that is, the 1% taking the entire cake and leaving us the crumbs–then we, the 99%, are lost. The 1% keep dividing and conquering us because we, the 99%, keep fighting among ourselves over race, gender, ethnicity, religion, etc., instead of concentrating and focusing on the real pocketbook wallet issues: equity in terms of income and wealth.

Laurel Kornfeld
Guest

William Brighenti There is more united focus on income and wealth inequality now than there has been for decades, thanks to Occupy Wall Street and Bernie Sanders’ campaign. The fight is just beginning.

Close Relationship Between Peter Kadzik and John Podesta Raises Questions And Concerns

An Open Letter to the People Who Left Me This Election